Thursday, February 24, 2022

Firestorm Viewer - Chat Logs

     I am one of those people who saves all of my chat logs when I am logged into SL with the Firestorm Viewer. A few times a week I delete them from the folder, and also save some of them to a different directory/folder. There are many reasons I save my chat logs, one of them being for customer service issues, or rental property requests, or similar. 

I also save them so that when someone says they said this, I can prove that they said that. 👅

One of my pet peeves about Firestorm is the default location where it saves the chat logs: It is a directory/folder where other non-chatlog files are created and updated too. It can be very difficult to delete only your chat log text files because some other files are TXT files too. You do not want accidently to delete those and other data files when you are deleting the chat log text files.


On my Windows 10 system Firestorm stores the chat logs in:
C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\Firestorm_x64/Markham_Weatherwax/ 


Well, you can change the location of the chat logs folder by first creating a new folder on your computer, then changing the location inside of:


Firestorm Preferences> Network & Files> Directories: Conversation logs and transcripts location.

Make sure to save your settings after making that change. 


Now, me, I created a ChatLogs folder in the /AppData/Roaming/Firestorm_x64 folder: C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\Firestorm_x64/ChatLogs/


    You do not have to put your folder there; you can make the folder in your system [My Documents] folder if you want to. I created mine to be efficient and also so that I do not need to bother putting a system exclusion for my Firewall or Antivirus program so those won't scan that folder: I already have exclusions for Windows Defender and my Firewall for the appdata folder and subfolders


Inside of the new Chat Log folder, you create another folder with your SL login name (First underbar Lastname or Name_Resident). You need to do this yourself because Firestorm will not automatically create that username folder if you change the default of where the chatlogs are stored. 

Mine is: 

C:\Users\MyPC\AppData\Roaming\Firestorm_x64/ChatLogs/Markham_Weatherwax/


If you use Firestorm to login to different SL accounts, Firestorm automatically creates a different folder for every username you login with under the default folder for logs and transcripts. So, if you create a new folder to store chat log files in, you will also need to create that username folder for each account you use to login with.

If you have chat logs already saved in the default folder, simply move them over to your new chat log folder(s) or delete them but leave the data files and the existing username folders alone. Don't delete them. Firestorm will still use that folder for work files and data files.

I recommend if you make your new folder under the appdata/firestorm_x64 folder, inside of that folder create a new shortcut, and then drag that shortcut onto your desktop. That way you can also easily access your Log files. 😁


NOTE:

Windows 10 hides tons of files and folders, and one of those it hides is the appdata folder (and roaming). You have to edit the Windows preferences to show hidden files and folders if you want to do or see things inside of those hidden folders. 


I hope this is helpful to those of you who save your chat log files, and for those of you who have tried in the past to change that location path before but ran into difficulties. It is not documented in the Firestorm Wiki that you need to make username folders if you change the default location for logs & transcripts. 


Best of luck, everyone! Happy SLing!

Markham Weatherwax


No comments:

Post a Comment